Monday, October 16, 2017

LineageOS on Galaxy Tab 2 7 AKA P3113

A few days a go I wanted to install an application from google play store on my Galaxy Tab 2 7 Tab. The device had an old stock Android version (Jelly Beans) and it refused to install the application as the application required a newer version of Android OS.

Then I remembered Cyanogenmod which was very popular a few years ago. It could install a new Android version on my tab. After searching about the project I learnt that it was shutdown last year. Fortunately it has been reborn as "LineageOS".

I decided to install LineageOS on my tab. I used my Fedora desktop to upload and flash the required software. The process was straightforward and it's well documented in LineageOS wiki pages.

The OS is still delivered as nightly builds, but I haven't experienced any issues with it so far. The build is as stable as a standard stable release.

You can install Google applications (Open GApps) after just installing the OS. Those applications are not bundled with the OS due to licensing restrictions. Applications such as Google Play Store are available with Open GApps.

After installing the OS, I have tried several applications such as Google Chrome and YouTube. The results are amazing. I'm experiencing smooth scrolls, quality video play, etc. LineageOS offers a way better experience than the old Android stock OS on the Galaxy Tab 2 7.

I think this is the best thing happened to my Tab. I should have done this a long time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment